Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Deadline Roundup

Sadly, only on of my deadline wishes came true, and of course it was the one I could have most easily gone without. Regardless, lets take a look at what Ray Shero did in his first deadline as GM.

The Deals


Gary Roberts for Noah Welch

I am strongly against this deal. I’ve heard the argument about how Roberts adds grit, leadership etc. but here’s the thing: our first call up from WBS is Micki Dupont. Micki Dupont. That is not good. And neither are the two defenseman ahead of him in Melichar and Scuderi. We now also have no stay at home ready to make the NHL roster anytime soon. Not to mention Roberts is 40 and probably wont be back next season.

I can see what Roberts brings, but I don’t think this was a good move, especially since we have a weak defense.


Georges Laraque for Daniel Carcillo and a 3rd

I like this deal as this was the only thing on my wish list the Pens got. A 3rd isn’t too much to pay, and let’s face it: Carcillo is a dime a dozen player. He is easily replaced, not to mention his short temper has led to many bad penalties for the Baby Pens.

Laraque, though he doesn’t fight a whole lot, it’s because few want to fight him. Also, he can play better than any tough guy out there. And his +7 rating should not be overlooked on a poor Coyotes team. Here’s something else: Laraque has 12 points less than Michel Oullet. Oullet, who plays more minutes, with better players and on the power play, is barely able to outscore a tough guy. That speaks against Oullet and for Laraque.



Dominic Moore for a 3rd

I don’t like trading away Moore, our best face off man and fore checker. Even with diminished playing time, I still thought he was contributing to the team. While I would prefer to have him, his loss isn’t devastating at all. Talbot should be able to pick up the slack of Moore’s departure.


Nolan Schaeffer for a 7th

This is a good deal by Shero to get another goalie in the system. I do think despite his UFA status he will be resigned and become Fleury’s back up. He comes from San Jose, who is notoriously good for drafting goalies. He played some NHL games this year and did well. Wilson smartly waited until every team’s goalie situation was settled before he passed him through waivers to be unclaimed.



Joel Kwiatowski for a 4th

Well, he’s better than Melichar, right?
.
.
.
Right?



Assessment

Well it was nice to have a deadline where we weren’t selling off all our good players, and just picking up random junk.

I am disappointed Shero did not land a defenseman, but if it meant not giving up a 1st for a guy of Rivet’s caliber than I am happy he didn’t do it. However, our defense is still our weakest point, and I don’t think it is good enough to carry us far into the playoffs. This is another reason I am angry at the Roberts deal as why trade for a guy when you’re not really geared up for the playoffs?

I know many wanted a scoring winger, but the asking prices were astronomical. Look what Tkachuk and Guerin fetched. Both too rich for Shero’s blood, as it should have been.

My biggest disappointment is that Oullet and Melichar are both still on the team. I know you need blueline depth, but Melichar has played less than half a dozen good games this year, and Oullet continues to drag down his line mates.

For the trades, Shero did good in getting a fair deal, minus the Roberts deal in my opinion. OS I give him a C as he was not able to pull off anything great.

If you add in that all of Oullet, Melichar and Scuderi are on this team, it’s an easy F.


But, after all is said and done, things could have been worse.

-Jordan

No comments: